College Day Schedule
College Visit Day is set up to bring Pacific Islander students and their parents to the UH Hilo campus for a college resource day. The goal is to expose underrepresented Pacific Islander high school students and parents to a college environment hosted by the appropriate Pacific Islander student organizations.
Date: Monday, Oct. 29, 2012 (8:30 AM – 3:30 PM)
Partners: Parents and Children Together (PACT), Ka’u High School, Marshallese parents.
Co-Sponsors: UH Hilo’s Pacific Islander Student Center, Marshallese Iakwe Club (MIC), Students Services & Intercultural Education, Minority Access & Achievement Program, Financial Aid, Admissions, Student Support Services Program, Upward Bound.
8:30 AM – Arrival
2 vans met by MIC club members, MIC lead visitors to PISC, store lunch in fridge; Jonathan to open PISC at 8 am (Volunteers: Walter Lanwi (driver), Samelda, Farrend Zackious, Mark Bigler, Samantha Leon, Jonathan Chugen)
9:00 – 10:00 am – Welcome & Student Panel
Desha brief welcome and turn it to Samelda for student panel to talk about their experience in college.
- Desha Staley-Raatior, Educational Specialist
- Samelda, President, Marshallese Iakwe Club (MIC)
- JJ, Mark Bigler, Samantha, MIC members
10:00 – 11:00 am – Campus Tour I
(Volunteers: Samelda, Farrend, James, Mark, Samantha, Winne, TK)
- Residence Hall (Dorms & housing office, talk about ASHE)
- Student Life Center (Outdoor Adventures, weight room, pool)
- Library (Kilohana, Computer Lab, Study Areas)
11:00 – 12:00 pm – Campus Tour II
- Student Services Bldg (Admissions, Financial Aid, International Student Services & IE, SSSP, Minority Access, Counseling Office)
- Campus Center (Lava Landing, ID, Career Center, Cafeteria)
12:00 – 1:30 pm – Lunch (PISC & lanai)
Visitors & MIC members can eat their lunch at the PISC and lanai. MIC members may guide a group down to cafeteria who want to get lunch, but bring them to the PISC. (Volunteers: Winnie, Junior, Mark)
2:00 – 3:00 pm – Campus Resources (PISC)
Staff from various campus offices will present on the resources available to students. (Volunteers: Samelda, Malia, James, Mark, JJ, Jikit)
- 2:00 – Vidalino Raatior, Pacific Islander Student Center
- 2:10 – Kolby Santiago, Financial Aid Office
- 2:20 – Jim Mellon, International Student Services & Intercultural Education
- 2:30 – Ginger Hamilton, Minority Access & Achievement Program
- 2:40 – Desha Staley-Raatior, Student Support Services Program
- 2:50 – Mahealani Jones, Admissions Office
3:00 pm – Closing & Feedback
- Closing Remarks by Walter Lanwi (Parent & PACT staff), Vid Raatior (Director, PISC), and Samelda (MIC, President)
- Feedback & Evaluation (Volunteers: Walter, Samelda, Mark, Samantha, Jikit)